Condo Insurance

Condo Insurance


Condo or Co-op insurance policy is a type of insurance coverage specifically designed for owners of condominiums, cooperative apartments, or townhomes. It provides coverage for the personal property and liability of the owner within the unit, as well as coverage for improvements and alterations made to the unit.

When deciding what coverage you need in a condo insurance policy, it’s important to consider several factors:

Personal Property Coverage: This provides protection for your personal belongings such as furniture, electronics, appliances, clothing, and other possessions within your unit. You should assess the value of your personal property and choose a coverage limit that would be sufficient to replace those items in case of damage or loss.

Liability Coverage: This protects you in case you are held liable for causing bodily injury or property damage to others. It includes legal defense costs as well. Consider the potential risks associated with your unit, such as accidents or injuries that may occur to guests or visitors, and choose a liability coverage limit that would provide adequate protection.

Loss Assessment Coverage: This coverage protects you in case your condo association levies an assessment on its members for damage or loss to the common areas or shared property. It can help you cover your share of the assessment, which may be required by the condo association bylaws.

Building Property Coverage: While the condominium association typically carries a master policy that covers the building’s structure and common areas, it may not cover the improvements and alterations you have made to your unit, such as upgraded fixtures or finishes. Building property coverage provides protection for these improvements and alterations.

Deductible Amount: The deductible is the amount you are responsible for paying out of pocket before the insurance coverage kicks in. Consider your financial ability to pay the deductible in case of a claim and choose a deductible amount that aligns with your budget.

Additional Endorsements or Riders: Depending on your specific needs, you may want to consider additional endorsements or riders to your HO6 policy. For example, if you own expensive jewelry or artwork, you may need additional coverage for these items. Discuss with your insurance agent to determine if any additional coverage options are necessary for your situation.

Review of Association Bylaws: It’s important to review the condominium association’s bylaws and understand the extent of their insurance coverage. This will help you identify any gaps in coverage and determine the appropriate amount of coverage you need for your unit.

Click here for a free Condo Insurance quote.

Follow Algate Advisors



Contact Us

Algate Advisors
Mooresville, IN 46158

(317) 858-9420